Friday, May 30, 2008

5.27.08
Today was mostly boring. I found myself out in lala land for a while. The beginning of the day was review, and we actually stopped at a couple of places we had already been to. I think the day was a little out of place. It didn't help that we were all exhausted from the previous 4 days in Galilee. But now we're back, and we get a "day off" tomorrow, although our prof has planned 2 extra-curricular events that we are going to. We'll be going to the Garden Tomb, and to the Western Wall tunnels. Both of these were by appointment only, so it's a special treat to be able to go.
Today, however, was spent in some of the outlying areas of Jerusalem. We went to the Church of our Father and to the Church of Dominus Flavit (the Lord Weaps). This church was very cool. I got a great shot of the dome of the rock through the window.
The Garden of Gethsemane had a beautiful church, The Church of the Agony. I wanted to spend more time here, but we were pretty quick in and out. It was a dark and ominous church - the colors and themes echoed the night Jesus spent in the garden. I loved it and snapped up a bunch of pictures.
We also went to Herodian and Bethlehem. At Bethlehem we went to the Church of the Nativity, which is a bit over the top. It is filled with gaudy imagery and far too much incense and candles. It was cool to be at the place that was highly likely to be where Jesus was born. I also thought I was an expert at debunking the Christian Christmas story myths, but I've learned even more.

Mom - for the answer to the quiz, check here:

quiz answer

No comments: