Tuesday, May 27, 2008

arm a geddon it

5/23./08
It was another full day. I've been really overwhelmed at how much we have to do. We are constantly racing from point to point, snapping some pics and then back on the bus with hardly anytime to process. I guess that's what writing this is for.
We went up the coast and into the Jezreel Valley. The valley is beautiful and larger that the other valleys we've seen. We stopped at a place where you could see the valley and point out the mountains of Tabor, Moreh and Gilboa.
We went to Caesarea, a beautiful old city that King Herod built to honor Caesar. Which Caesar escapes me right now. Herod built this city to show that he was Rome. He wanted the Romans to know that he was Roman. He built the temple for the Jews to show them that he was Jewish. Interesting how little politicians change, isn't it? Herod also did this on the backs of the Jews, through labor and heavy taxes. Looking at the city was awesome, but then it kind of made me sick to know the motives behind it.
We were on top of Mt. Carmel where Elijah defeated the prophets of Baal. We also spent time at Megiddo, where we discussed its eschatalogical impact. There are a bunch of people that believe it's the location of the final battle. Armageddon literally means "Mountain of Megiddo," and so many people believe that Megiddo will be the stage. I tend to think it is metaphorical. Megiddo was the site of so many battles over the years, huge battles by large armies. The author knew of the history and wanted to communicate the magnitude of the battle. Being there really firmed this up in my mind - the valley just isn't big enough for a modern war with airplanes, etc. It would be over really fast.
The interesting thing about Megiddo is that has been destroyed and built up 25 times. It also had a spot in the city that has been the location of a temple or holy site 17 times. I think that's fascinating.
I also got to hike to the top of mount Arbel. It was an awesome view, really windy, but worth it.
Unfortunately, after two weeks of this it's starting to feel like lots of piles of stones over and over. I'm still learning a lot. I can recognize Solomonic gates, tripartate homes, casement walls, etc. I feel like I need to recognize Jesus in it all.

No comments: