Monday, May 12, 2008

Why is Greenland icy and Iceland green?

Well, I find myself on the plane on my way to Israel. The whole experience thus far is a little surreal. I'm sitting next to a guy who is really cool - a blessing, since I was afraid that I would have an experience that rivaled that of Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Right now, we're flying over Iceland, just passed Greenland. Juno is playing for the second time on the flight. It's weird to think that we travel over the Arctic Circle rather than straight east. But, it's logical once I think about it.

I started a really interesting book by Shane Claiborne. It's called Jesus for President - thanks Kyle. About 100 pages in, I find it a very engaging read. The premise is that understanding the political climate of Jesus' day supercharges his words with revolutionary meaning that we don't understand at a cursory glance of the Scriptures today. I have been thinking about these ideas for a couple years now (in some ways longer, because I've never felt all that patriotic) and I'm finding a lot of it rings true. It would be really interesting to get the academic side of this idea, although I appreciate the many footnotes and references. There are statements that are made that should require footnotes that don't have any - some of the big things I've been chewing on don't really get answered - just restated.

I also learned that Manchester United won their match today, which means Chelsea places second. Better than the fourth that most people were expecting after the managerial change. And they still have a chance at the Champions League against ManU. Next year.

1 comment:

Youthleadergina said...

I am sooooo jealous! How awesome!!!