Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Storms


5/25/08 Thoughts on the Day

Today we began the day on a boat. We boarded a boat and travelled across the Sea of Galilee. We stopped part way across and had a great time of reflection. Marc had us imagine what it would be like to be one of the disciples on the boat with Jesus. He first read the story of Jesus calming the storm, and then the story of Jesus walking on water. Jesus had calmed the first storm while he was with them, and now they're caught in the same situation. The thought hit me that they must have asked themselves, "Where's Jesus" or "I sure wish Jesus was here, he could fix this." Now, during this second storm, Jesus arrives by foot. They are now more scared of him than of the storm that is still raging upon their boat. (This is interesting since I've always pictured Jesus walking on calm, glassy water, but it was during a storm!) They had to be having this thought. And then he shows up in POWER! Power that scares them. I am trying to think back and recall if I've ever felt that way about my Savior. Have I been scared of his power? Should I be?
The feeling that really stuck with me was "Where's Jesus this time?" These disciples were being obeident. They obeyed and crossed the sea, but they couldn't see Jesus, and they felt he wasn't around when they needed him. Can anyone else relate to this? I feel this way in my life right now -> Jesus, you've shown up before, why not now? Will he show up in even greater power than before, like he did with the disciples? I don't know - I don't think that's what this story is about - but I think he could. That is the hope that I have. He could show up with greater power, n a way that will scare my socks off. I do know that he'll show up - he's never left - and even more, that like his disciples of that day, he has compassion on me in the middle of my storm.

No comments: